Minor Procedure Information
Dr Lily Vrtik performs minor procedures at the following locations:
Suite J, Lower Level
North West Private Hospital
137 Flockton Street
Everton Park QLD 4053
Suite 1, 679 Beenleigh Road
Sunnybank QLD 4
Information for after Minor Procedures
General Instructions for all patients
- Rest is very important after a procedure. Do not undertake stenuous activity for 24 hours as this may cause an increase of bleeding from the wound
- If your wound is on your head or neck area, do not bend over as this may induce bleeding from your surgery site
- Use pain relief as necessary
- Contact rooms is you have a fever or feel unwell, or unusual swelling develops in the operative area
- Icepacks can be used to minimise bruising and swelling in the first 24 hours
- If your operative site is on your limbs, elevate it and rest it for at least 24 hours after procedure
Instructions for your wound care
If your wound starts to bleed:
- Sit down/lie down, and if possible, elevate the treated area above your heart. Sit up if the wound is on your head or neck area.
- Apply firm and constant pressure through the dressing for ten full minutes.
- DO NOT try to remove the dressings. If the bleeding continues, call Dr Vrtik on the after hours number or go to your nearest doctor/emergency department as listed below.
- If you suffer from high blood pressure, make sure you have taken your usual medications.
- Please rest the remainder of the day to minimise bruising and recurrence of bleeding.
Special Instructions for Punch Biopsies
- Leave your sutures and brown tape in place for 3 days.
- You can wash over it and pat dry every day.
- After 3 days, you can remove the tape and wash and moisturise the suture area to help the suture dissolve.
Ring our practice nurse on 07 3353 6165 for results one week after the biopsy. If the suture does not fall out after 7 days, go to your GP and have it removed.
Special Instructions for if the Wound is on your arm, leg or body
- Leave the dressing on, dry and intact for 3 days.
- After 3 days, you can remove your waterproof dressing; underneath is a white fabric tape. Leave this white tape in place.
- The wound can then be washed under running water, pat dry, and left open.
Special instructions for if the wound is on the face or neck
- Leave the brown tape in place for as long as possible.
- Keep your wound dry and clean for 3 days. During this time, you can use a damp towel to wipe your face around the tape.
- After 3 days, you can wash over the tape once a day with running water and pat dry.
- If the tape falls off, wash the suture lines daily and apply vaseline to the wound four times a day.
- DO NOT apply makeup or any other creams/oils/ointments on the wound or over the tape during the 1st week after your procedure.
Special Instruction for those told to leave all dressings intact until your follow up appointment
- Keep it clean and dry.
- Do not do excessive physcial avtivities - minimise sweating in the operated area.
- If your dressings become soiled or wet, please ring the rooms and speak with our practice nurse.
Please contact the rooms on 07 3353 6165 if:
- you have any problems, concerns or for any emergencies during working hours (9am - 4pm Mon - Fri)
- you have any account enquires
- you need a medical certificate, pathology results or prescriptions
- you need to book a follow-up appointment with either Dr Vrtik or our practice nurse.
Please contact Dr Vrtik on her mobile for after hours emergencies only (this number will be in your postoperative brochure).